WEST TRANSITWAY CLOSURE
BUS DETOURS ON SCOTT/ALBERT STREETS
In order to accommodate O-Train Confederation Line construction activity, the Transitway just west of downtown between Merton Street and Empress Avenue will be closed. All in-service OC Transpo buses will be relocated to use the newly-constructed bus-only lanes on Scott and Albert streets. All out-of-service buses will be diverted through Tunney’s Pasture to the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway.
WHEN: Starting on Sunday, January 17, 2016, and continuing until 2018 when the O-Train Confederation Line officially opens for service.
WHY: In order to transform the Transitway into a Light Rail Transit line.
PEDESTRIAN & CYCLING IMPACTS/IMPROVEMENTS
- New signalized pedestrian crossings have been installed at Merton Street and City Centre Avenue.
- New multi-use pathways connecting Bayview Road to Bayview Station, and from Bayview Station to Albert Street, have been built to help accommodate pedestrian and cycling traffic.
- On Scott and Albert streets, the multi-use pathways have been re-paved and will be winter maintained. The existing sidewalk on the south side will remain open throughout construction.
- Two lanes of regular vehicular traffic will remain open throughout the construction period, one in each direction.
- All existing left-turn lanes will remain in both directions.
- Vehicles may enter the bus lanes in advance of a right turn, whether to access a street, private driveway or business establishment.
RESIDENTIAL & BUSINESS IMPACTS
- OC Transpo has implemented service adjustments in order to maintain important connections for customers and minimize the number of buses running on Scott and Albert streets.
- Access to all residential and commercial sites will be maintained throughout construction.
TRANSIT SERVICES IMPACTS
- All transit stations and local bus stops along the detoured corridor will remain open and be served by routes designated on the bus stop signs during the construction period.
- There will be changes to the platform locations at Bayview and LeBreton Stations which move south to Albert Street.
- For safety reasons, buses travelling in bus lanes will not provide “Safe Stops” between designated stops.
- Most customers using this section of the Transitway will have a slightly longer travel time.
- Residents are advised to contact OC Transpo for specific route service adjustments at 613-741-4390 or www.octranspo.com.