Greenfield Avenue immediately west of King Edward Avenue will be closed intermittently to permit the initial replacement work of the Mann Avenue Transitway Bridge.
WHAT: Greenfield Avenue will require closures on two separate occasions from King Edward Avenue to the westbound Hwy. 417 on-ramp on Greenfield Avenue later this month as work to replace the Mann Avenue Transitway Bridge takes place.
When full closures are in effect, traffic and pedestrian detours will be in place around the Greenfield Avenue/Mann Avenue/King Edward Avenue intersection.
WHEN: The first closure of this section of Greenfield Avenue will be required overnight on Wednesday, October 12, and Thursday October 13, 2016, from 7:30 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. each night. The street and sidewalks will be completely closed to all traffic and pedestrians/cyclists.
The second closure will take place the week of October 17 to 22, and will involve intermittent lane closures only on Greenfield Avenue. Work will take place nightly from 7:30 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. the following morning. This work will involve one lane being closed at a time, while keeping two lanes and a sidewalk open. All lanes and sidewalks will be open during the day.
Further closures are expected to occur on an ongoing basis through to the spring of 2017 as bridge replacement work advances. Notification will be provided in advance.
WHY: Demolition of the transit bridge took place September 30 to October 3. Now the process of rebuilding the bridge to accommodate the Confederation Line O-Train Light Rail Transit system begins.
PEDESTRIAN & CYCLING IMPACTS
• During full road closures, pedestrian and cycling detours will be in place.
• During construction of the bridge, pedestrians and cyclists will have access to the north/south sidewalk and roadway going through the Greenfield Avenue/Mann Avenue/King Edward Avenue intersection.
• Since the sidewalks on Greenfield Avenue will be closed to the public the nights of October 12 and 13, pedestrians and cyclists looking to go east/west between Nicholas Street and King Edward Avenue are advised to use Marie Curie Pvt. and the tunnel under Nicholas Street to access the Rideau Canal pathway adjacent to Colonel By Drive.
• Vehicles travelling on Lees Avenue, Mann Avenue and King Edward Avenue will not be able to access Greenfield Avenue the nights of October 12 and 13. Those looking to access the Hwy. 417 westbound on-ramp on Greenfield are advised to take Laurier Avenue West to the Nicholas Street on-ramp.
• The westbound on-ramp on Greenfield Avenue will still be accessible for those coming from the west along Greenfield.
RESIDENTIAL & BUSINESS IMPACTS
• An overnight noise exemption has been approved for this work. Noise levels are expected to be moderate to high.