This notice is to advise that, as part of the O-Train Confederation Line Light Rail Transit (LRT) Project, crews will be required to undertake overnight work as they begin to adjust the ramp going into the downtown tunnel at the east entrance, and doing reinforcement work along the guideway adjacent to Nicholas Street.
WHAT: Work will include excavation and grading, concrete barrier demolition and replacements, asphalt removals, site reinforcement along the construction zone and final landscaping.
WHY: Overnight work is required for the following reasons:
- Safety – Crews are working directly adjacent to and, in some cases, directly on the bus-only lane on Nicholas Street. Due to the narrowness of the roadway, this work must occur at night in order to ensure safety and prevent impacts on transit services..
- Traffic impacts – Nicholas Street is a main arterial road. At this time, traffic is reduced to one northbound lane for general traffic and one bus-only lane. Further lane reductions daytime are not permitted.
- Schedule – Due to the restrictions noted above, overnight work hours are required to ensure work is completed within the project schedule and within budget.
WHEN: Overnight work from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. will begin as early as May 23, and continue to the end of July 2016. Work at the east portal ramp will be ongoing in phases until the end of summer 2017.
WHERE: The east portal is located just south of Laurier Street, near Nicholas Street.
- The northbound bus-only lane on Nicholas Street will be closed during the overnight hours and buses will merge with general traffic.
RESIDENTIAL & BUSINESS IMPACTS
- Noise levels for this work are expected to be moderate to high.