The 417 Widening project—a $200-million provincial commitment to fix the split at the junction of Highway 417 and Ottawa Road 174—was bundled with the Confederation Line to eliminate the risk of delays and reduce transit disruption during construction of light rail. The extra lane in each direction functions as an alternate transitway for Bus Rapid Transit until the Confederation Line opens in 2018.
- Highway 417 has been widened by one lane in each direction between Nicholas and the Highway 417/174 split.
- Bridge structures were widened and rehabilitated.
- Rapid bridge replacements were done at Lees Avenue and the Vanier Parkway. This technology is used to replace bridges in a matter of hours rather than months.
- A new pedestrian overpass has been built over Highway 417 to connect Tremblay Station with the Ottawa Stadium and the Overbrook community.
Long-term and permanent ramp closures
- The Lees on-ramp to Highway 417 East will be closed until 2018 to ensure safety during construction and Transitway detour operations.
- The Highway 174 ramp from the westbound Highway 417 will be closed until 2018